February 7, 2011

Loving Otomi

Hola Amigos! I just got back from a much needed long weekend in Puerto Villarta. I met up with my sisters and we had so much fun! We caught up drinking margaritas, getting massages, eating amazing food and I even managed to read a whole novel on the beach. Oh, and I can't leave out the shopping! While strolling down the pier, I caught eye of a fabric I have seen more than once in decorating mags. The print has always been interesting to me.


(House Beautiful)

I did some research on the beautiful textile print and found out that it is a 100% cotton canvas, handwoven by the Mexican Otomi Indians in the state of Hidalgo, Mexico. Each piece can take months to finish. Each one tells a different story and almost always embodies animals in the print. I love the vibrant colors and the bold almost graphic feel. They come in a variety of color options.

(Jacaranda)



Otomi can be used as a bedspread, wall art, table cloths or upholstery. The options are endless.


(Apartment Therapy)


(Orinui)


(Apartment Therapy)


(Little Green Notebook)

This last picture even shows Otomi used as fabric lamp shades! I decided I needed one of these textiles for myself so I purchased a coverlet that is similar to this....


(My Photo)

I guess until I get the chance to travel back to Mexico, I will just have to wrap up in a bit of their history with my new Otomi blanket.
xoxo,
Heather

1 comment:

  1. Yay for a fun trip! Sisters are the best. (One of mine was just here or five days.) Thank you for the education you gave me on Otomi. Gorgeous. You always knock it out of the park. Where will you put yours?

    ReplyDelete