July 13, 2011

Orchids


via
































When it comes to house plants I have many.  I think plants really add texture, color and life to a room. By far my most favorite of house plants are orchids.  They are so distinguished, exotic and elegant.  They fit in any decor and if taken care of they last months.  Did you catch that.....IF TAKEN CARE OF.  That is where this post comes in.
They are sensitive little buggers! I can't seem to ever keep one alive after it finishes blooming.  The leaves turn yellow on me and the roots dry up because everyone I have talked to has scared me to death about watering them.
The Orchid plant will win no more over me! I bought a Easy-Care Orchid book a while back and due to my studying, I got my orchid to re bloom!  Yes, that is right. I thought if the tips worked for me, I need to share them with you. Here are some tips from a professional(not myself) on keeping a successful healthy orchid plant.

I should start by saying the tips below are for Phalaenopsis, Big Flowered Hybrid. This is the orchid plant that you find at any typical grocery store, nursery ect.

Light
Orchids need sunlight in order to bloom. Low Eastern light. Windowsill's, ledge or dresser works great. When you bring your orchid home place the actual plant in the position you want it to stay. Why, because if it's orientation to light changes the flowers will skew in an irritating fashion for the plant and buds will not come to maturity! This is where I went so so wrong ladies! Every once in awhile I would pick up and move my orchid to whole other room!!!! Not good.

Water
Orchids naturally grow on the sides of trees in tropical climates. They don't need much water due to their natural water storing center found in their leaves.  Due to their water-retentive leaves, they only need to be watered once a week.  How much water? 2-3 ice cubes. Over watering will lead to yellowing and saturation of the leaves causing them to die.

Fertilize
To get your blooms to last longer and the buds to all bloom, fertilize once a week with orchid fertilizer. I bought mine at Home Depot for a few bucks.  They were little beads I just dropped in the soil once a week.  Since some of the roots are bare, it is important to fertilize so they get the nutrients that they would be getting deeper in the soil.

Re-blooming Tip
When flowering finally finishes, cut the stem above the second notch from the bottom. This almost insures re-blooming. By cutting the plant down, it allows the plant to concentrate on the roots and regenerating buds. 

 Hope these tips help you as much as they helped me. My orchid re bloomed 4 months after I cut it down. I just kept following the tips above and it paid off.

* Bloom -Again Orchids Author, Judy White
XO,
Heather

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this my orchid has about half its blooms left! I water mine once a month! so far so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had 2 orchids that were given to me last summer and I adored them. Notice that I'm speaking in the past tense:) I moved them around not knowing this was bad and they both died. I might have to muster up the courage to try again.

    ReplyDelete